Sunday, March 23, 2008

spring break fun for college kids and me offshore

We had a nice dip out at the reef, a bit of current made for a good workout for my college students. We saw lots of tropical fish, most of the usual local residents were swimming about. There was this big school of small Amber Jacks that darted around me as I swam through a narrow coral reveane, pushing them into the shallows making them feel trapped,with no way out, skiddish, they each blasted by our group. The visibility was not too good since its been kind of wavy out there lately. I guess I'm spoiled, its been so clear in the past months at my reef, good thing its shallow and good even when its not that clear.
The fishing was nice, we found a nice spot, landed lots of fish and one nice black grouper. They also had great fun feeding the tarpons. Its always a mystery who will dare to feed them by hand, these huge hungry mammoth tarpons, some as large as 300 pounds or more, eight foot plus in length.

No comments: